Pages

Film: Best 10 in 2010


1) The Joneses
If you read/listen to one thing I say in your life make it this... This is a movie EVERY person should see. It tells the story of consumerism and debt in our culture. I’m no anti-materialist or crazy technology-is-killing-the-world activist, but this movie offers a real portrayal of today’s world. The plot is about us, right here, right now. It brilliantly meets you right where you are and forces us to think about how we live our lives. The acting is great and I'm happy that there there are actors like Demi Moore and David Duchovny to read scripts and realize potential and substance worthy of putting their work into. Take your kids take your friends, you’ll be changed. Plus, it’s damn entertaining. Although it was technically released in 2009 I don't care because I saw it in theaters in 2010.

Bottom line: Every person should see this movie. Seriously, go now.


2) Inception
By now, you should already know that this is the most epic and intelligent movie to come out...ever. I have nothing bad to say. There are no holes, nothing left unexplained, just pure and complete creativity, action, and thought sewn together into an oral and optical masterpiece. I've already seen this multiple times and I'm ready for another. The way Christopher Nolan can conceive a manipulation of time (Memento anyone?) and piece everything so seamlessly together is a sign of utter brilliance. The acting is great, the story is great, and you end the movie wishing it would start again.

Bottom line: Watch Inception, then again, then rent Memento and watch The Dark Knight and Inception one more time.

3) The Social Network
Man this movie is good. I don't like anyone who hates this movie, and I definitely won't be your friend on Facebook. Which, by the way, I'm using no less than before or think no lower of its creator so no need to worry about this film ruining your image. I'm not a fan of you because you are unattractive, not cause you're an asshole. Anyway, this film is nicely acted, plotted, and executed. Good job Sorkin and guy who wrote this "untrue" book that is for the most part backed up by everything the Facebook Wikipedia page says (yes, I checked and yes, Wikipedia is a credible source...shhhh) so I actually believe you.

Bottom line: Rolling Stone calls it "The best movie of the year, that also defines a generation," so do I.

4) Going the Distance
I feel confident enough that I haven’t said this yet, am too lazy too make sure of it, and take it back if I gave it to another film…best comedy of the year. This movie was amazing. The realism and hilarious ad-libbed dialogue is frickin’ genius. You know I’m serious since I just wrote a whole paragraph despite having an official review here.

Bottom line: Screw you movie-goers, this movie should have be making mad more money than it has been.

5) Toy Story 3
*sigh* Where to start? Like all Disney Pixar movies, this one's a gem. Just as good as the first two classics and perfect timing for those of us who remember Woody and Buzz as kids. I love Disney for its universal age appeal. It has the cutest characters and great dialogue.

Bottom line: Classic and wonderful.

6) Knight and Day
Hands down best June movie-(that-isn't-Toy-Story). So funny, so clever, so interesting. Tom Cruise is crazy in real life which can only make for a great character in a fantasy world I mean c'mon it's just logic. Cameron Diaz and Cruise are adorable together and if people payed any attention to all the rave reviews this is getting, it really could have been Cruise's comeback movie. Knight and Day is one of those movies that makes you realize while people,  like Cruise, became fan favs in the first place.

Bottom line: Great plot, great acting, and funny/interesting as any other good action flick.

7) Extraordinary Measures
You can read my official review here. I suggest you do, this movie is good and you need to be convinced that's true.

Bottom line: This movie was fabulous. The story is dynamic and inspiring and you won't regret taking the time or spending the money to see this in theaters.

8) Book of Eli
When I saw this film it was one of the rare occasions I went in having zero clue what the movie was about. I was intrigued from the first scene and thoroughly enjoyed watching this story unfold. I do feel like the movie's twist takes the story from slightly divine to a little unbelievable but that is really just a personal preference as far as these types of stories go. The cinematography is really cool and I liked all the acting, including Mila Kunis, who's been getting a lot of flack for her role. I love that girl and now she's showing all of you in Black Swan so who's laughing now?

Bottom line: Book of Eli is an interesting, unique story that makes you think. Back that up with some talented acting and good action scenes means you should head to the theater.

9) The Crazies
The best movie I saw in February award goes hands down to The Crazies. This movie is awesome. I’m not a horror film fan because half the time they make no sense, fail to freak me out, and have no intelligent bone in their skeletal plot. The Crazies breaks down all my horror hating walls. Josh Deschanel’s doppelganger does a good job as the small town sheriff trying to save his pregnant wife from an accidental government-induced epidemic. This movie has some sweet kills and surprisingly pleasing relationship development and personal sacrifice. The social commentary is obvious, yet not that annoying. I love a sci-fi type story that fits in the real world as we know it.

Bottom line: Watch this, as soon as you can. This is my favorite horror movie in 2010, if not ever. Paranormal Activity is crap, so see this.

10) The Town
Buzz about this movie notes the "crazy" marketing campaign they used with men dressed in nun masks and wonders how it could recover from such a risky move so beautifully. Here's the answer, straight from the brilliant mind of me: showing pictures of men dressed in nun's masks isn't that crazy and this movie is legitimately good. Screw Ben Afleck haters because you don't know actual talent. You can't fake directing skills like that.
 
Bottom line: The Town is the movie films like Takers can't even dream of being.

Honorable Mention: Easy A

This is one good ol' fashioned teen comedy. The situations are relatable and actually funny and Emma Stone is awesome. She's got the goods to go far and I think she will. This story is really about that fine line of not caring what people think and not standing up for yourself. It's a story not often told and I'm glad someone finally did.

Bottom line: A+! 

1 comments:

William said...

I liked the jonses, but idk about the best movie of the year... and i thought that the crazies was awfil, i was so let down and disapointed.

but i do agree with the rest, and Easy A was fantastic.

Post a Comment